Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Krista

With just over two decades on earth, Krista has accomplished more than most 40 year olds. A debut album that was released last summer to rave reviews, a national tour with Kelly Clarkson, and a rough childhood that would have you imagine her to be a cold, cynical young woman. Speaking with her I learned that that is far from the truth. Being raised by her father and grandmother in Brooklyn NY, along side of two siblings, with no mother present, may not have been ideal, but she overcame it and followed her dreams straight to the top with such an appreciative attitude for everything she has been able to do in life, and a strong faith in God. In all the interviews I have been a part of, I have to say, this was the most heartwarming and fulfilling conversation I have had with an artist.

For those who may not have had the pleasure of hearing your music yet, give us a little background info, tell us who you are.
Krista: I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY, music has just always been a part of my life since the day I realized, and knew who I was, and was actually able to understand what music really was. I sang in church, and it’s pretty funny, although I don’t speak Spanish, and I am Spanish, I started singing in Spanish in church first. It’s pretty funny, if you try to hold a conversation with me, my Spanish is very basic. I was raised by my father and I had dreamed about music as something I wanted to do with my life since I was about 6 or 7 years old. The first time I ever wrote a song I was about 10 years old, and the first time I recorded, I was about 13 or 14 years old. My uncle Franky, who plays guitar and is also a musician, I walked up to him and pulled out the sheet and said, “uncle Franky I think I’m ready  to record this song” and he called it great, he helped me, basically, start my music career. A couple of years of ‘hustling’ as a I like to call it, in the music world, trying to make a name for myself, then I met Camus Celli, my partner, and current music producer, and he gave me the tools that I needed to be the best artist that I can be, and get to the next level, which was, developing a record, and then shopping the record, which ultimately landed me my first record deal, with J Records, and we put out my first album, titled, “Taking Back Brooklyn” with that album I toured the country with Shwayze, and I toured the country with Kelly Clarkson, I actually performed in the Bahamas with Kelly Clarkson. Music has just brought me so many opportunities that I’m very grateful for. Right now, I’m currently working on my second album, and it’s definitely different from the first record. The first record was a part of my teenage angst, but all real and valid feelings, that I feel spoke for a group of real kids and adults out there that are going through things.
 How does the record you’re working on differ from the first?
Krista: This record is more of me just exploring my adulthood and letting loose a little bit and just being happy and living life and having fun. But there are also those ballad songs that have to do with break-ups and love.
You’re so young, but you’ve already experienced so much in your life, how have your experiences influenced your writing and music?
Krista: Oh well, for a minute when I first started going through the professional music world, it kind of scared me al little bit and stopped me from writing music in the very beginning, because I like to use a lot of personal things that go on with me as material. There were a lot of issues I was going through with people that I was working with, and people that I had to co-exist with that kind of scared me into not writing how I felt. But I hit a bottom, and it inspired me, and reintroduced the hunger that I have for the music and I just started writing all over again without really caring what anybody thought about it, because in the end, it’s beautiful music, and I need it to live. But you know, being on the road it definitely inspired me to write about more things than just break ups and love. Meeting thousands and thousands of amazing fans has definitely inspired me and has definitely help me grow as an artist and appreciate music.
What was the writing process like for “Taking Back Brooklyn”? Is that when you were going through the fear of writing and all of that?
Krista: Definitely. I was at a point in my life where I was becoming an adult, I was still a teenager, and I was very gullible, very trusting, and it kind of backfired on me. It taught me life lessons and its really helping me now in my life. I wrote a lot of songs on that record about an ex-boyfriend that I spent 7 years with in total, being so young to be in a relationship that long is very hard. I have a lot of songs about that, because for a while in that relationship I felt trapped. The only way I was able to cry out was through my music. Also I wrote quite a few songs about breaking through all of the bad crap and all the stuff that’s unnecessary, to focus on just believing in yourself and being the best you can be and being strong.
So your music is pretty cathartic then. It’s basically a journal?
Krista:  It is. It definitely is. If you want to know what’s going on with me buy a record and listen to it. I write most of my songs off of personal experiences.
You recorded in your hometown of Brooklyn, NY, did that make the whole process even that much more special?
Krista:  Definitely. It was very much a comfortable situation. It was just great to be able to record it in my hometown. It’s very much a part of me and the fact that I got to record it in Brooklyn meant a lot to me. I am a very proud Brooklynite!

By the end of last year, you had your first national tour and your debut album under your belt, pretty much back-to-back, was it an overwhelming feeling, or were you just stoked beyond belief?
Krista: I didn’t. I welcomed it. I loved it. This is exactly what I want. I am doing exactly what I want to do with my life. I couldn’t be happier. The only thing is that, having a boyfriend is kind of hard. Although I’m a very faithful and loyal girl, it’s just very hard to earn a person’s trust who doesn’t understand the music world. I’m the kind of girl that doesn’t like to be single and on the road. I kind of need that other half for stability.
You seem so strong, and so down to earth. You’ve achieved so much success, what do you attribute that to?
Krista: I think growing up very hard, being raised by my father and grandmother. We really depended on each other, and belief in God to just make it through. My family, they have amazing stories. They’re amazing testimonies of how they made it through their lives. Growing up, hearing all their stories, gave me a sense of pride. I am a strong person, I come from a strong family, at the end of the day my last name in Spanish, means, “all the noble blood” and I feel like I have to live that through, every day.
You mentioned that you’re currently writing for another album, so what’s next for you?
Krista: I have so many things on my mind at this point. I want to go all around the world. I want to tour. I would love to reach my ultimate goal of creating music with Bono, that’s something I so dream about. Him and Dave Grohl. Those are my guys. Just keeping it going, keeping myself strong, and trying to do as much as I can. I’d love to be in stadiums all over the world. I’d love to be in Europe this summer. I have such a great following in Europe. They’ve shown me a lot of love, so I’d love to be over their ad show them the love back.
So we can start wrapping it up, is there anything else you’d like to put out there? Messages to our readers who have yet to discover you, or messages to fans who already love you?
Krista: For the people who haven’t discovered me yet, listen to my music with an open heart and open mind. Not every song is going to be so sad, but it’s definitely an honest place. And my fans that are always supporting me, there is so much more music to come. There is so much stuff happening right now. And don’t stop believing in me, because you believing in me is what keeps me going. It’s what makes my blood pump, so I love you guys.

Kristaofficial.com has recently been completely re-vamped. It’s a definite must-check-out. Her new single, “Hypnotize” is a fun song all about breaking up with a boyfriend, and going out to the club and letting the music take control. Expect big things from this young woman, I know I do!
~Kacy Norman

Theconcertscene.com

2 comments:

  1. She is really talented

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lostened to her music after reading this, she really good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete