Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Speak Obsession Interview

Speak Obsession is an up-and-coming death metal band out of Colorado Springs, CO. They are a fairly recent addition to the metal scene but, between their grinning and dancing on-stage, they seem to have more fun performing than any other band I have seen in the area. I was able to attend a band practice and interview the band about their music and performances.

How about a bit of background info?

Tyler: we’ve been playing together for about six months now

Brandon: our first show was in January which was about a month after we started jamming together. Tyler and I had songs that we were playing together since way back when.

Matt: James, Kämrouz and I were in another band right before this one. And really we just kind of merged I guess.

How did you guys meet?

James: School. We all went to Pine Creek together.

Tyler: Us three [Tyler, Matt and Brandon] were in, like, second grade together.

Matt: Yeah, I left for a while but then came back and then we started jamming together. Everyone in this band was actually in another band with a different friend of ours  but I think we have all since been kicked out. Wait, were you [James] kicked out?

James: I kind of left. I think I was the only one who didn’t get kicked out.

Brandon: What band was that?

Tyler, James and Matt simultaneously: Hippo Tank. [laughter]

Who were the main influences on your sound and actually getting into making music?

Brandon: That band right there. [points to James and Matt’s Between the Buried and Me shirts]

Tyler: Well, there’s actually a lot of bands that influenced us in a lot of ways.

Matt: I was actually talking to James about this last night. It seems like everyone in the band comes from different areas of metal. Like me, for example, I base a lot of the writing of my guitar tracks off of bands like As Blood Runs Black, Black Dahlia Murder--

Tyler: Matt plays like a crack-head. [Matt laughs] I cannot even hope to be as fast as him.

Matt: [to Tyler] You always remind me of ABR [August Burns Red]

Brandon: Yeah, like the crazy technical stuff.

Matt: And [Brandon] Shuck, you like all that kind of pop metal.

Brandon: Yeah, but I really listen to all types of music, I listen to everything, like smooth jazz, things like that.

Matt: Yeah, and James is actually a jazz bassist, and Kämrouz is just crazy with all his black metal and stuff.

Brandon: It’s also a lot of fun experimenting with the softer side to kind of like BtBaM [Between the Buried and Me] and a lot of jazzy stuff.

When you opened for a touring band yesterday how was that? Were you nervous for it compared to local shows?

Matt: No, actually. It was pretty cool. I think we were really just excited more than anything. We played a show with them back in March.

Tyler: I think it’s really fun to be playing with touring guys because of all of the people that you get to meet that you might not know about. And most likely they are going to be nice.

Brandon: Yeah, I’ve never had a bad experience in the music scene with someone being a d*ck or something like that. Everybody’s been cool.

So in a few days you guys are headlining at the Black Sheep?

Matt: Yeah, we’re pretty excited about it.

Have you played any headlining shows before?

James: Nah, this is the first headlining

How are you guys feeling about it?

Matt and Tyler: We’re pretty excited.

Brandon: I’m not even sure how we got it.

James: Like, normally the Black Sheep only does bigger shows because they like to draw a lot of people.

Tyler: Hopefully a lot of people show up, cuz that kind of helps us get our name out there.

Matt: The Black Sheep is one of those venues where people actually show up just to go to metal shows.

Brandon: Exactly! Sunshine Studios, I love it to death, but I feel like you actually need to invite all of the people. Like they need to come directly for you. It’s not like ‘oh there’s a metal show on tonight, I’m going to that’

What are your plans for the future? Are you going to pursue a record deal or keep playing shows like this or what?

Matt: Well, Brandon and Tyler are going off to college, but they’re going in state so we’re going to keep writing songs over Guitar Pro, which is what we always do. We always collaborate over Guitar Pro.

Tyler: Guitar Pro is the sh*t. [laughter]

James: Except you have a bad pirated version.

Matt: Hey, I have a pirated version and mine works great! [even more laughter]

Tyler: Well, honestly we haven’t really talked about it yet.

Matt: I guess when you guys [Tyler and Brandon] come back for breaks or whatever we can play shows again and record.

So you guys are planning to stay together through that?

Matt: Yeah, our plan is to stay together.

James: We definitely want to play a lot of shows this summer

Well, that’s about it. Do you guys have anything you want to add? Like messages  to fans and readers or advice for aspiring musicians?

Tyler: Well, we don’t have any advise because we’re aspiring musicians ourselves

Brandon: Absolutely, that’s how I feel.

Tyler: Seeing Righteous Vendetta was really cool because of that. They really helped me out for sure.

Brandon: Yeah they’re so nice

Tyler: All I can say is to enjoy doing it.

Matt: Exactly, I was about to say the same thing

Tyler: I’ve always felt that the whole point is to just have fun with it.

Matt: Yeah, like Merry Mammoth Gang, I always felt that they were just so stressed at all of their shows.

Brandon: I don’t want them to take it too seriously, but...

Tyler: Even though their music is f*cking amazing!

Brandon: Yes. Their music is.... Jesusly. [Everyone laughs.]

Matt: Jesusly?

Brandon: yeah, just unbelievable.

Speak Obsession is constantly producing new music and playing shows. They are definitely worth going to see even if death metal isn’t really your thing. You can get access to music, concert dates and more information on the band on their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/speak.obsession.


-The Enemy
Duncan Mandville

Theconcertscene.com

No comments:

Post a Comment